It was during the days when the Second World War was raging throughout Europe and Britain was besieged, that two resourceful and determined ladies, Miss Christine Tucker and Miss Zelie Bull, decided to open a school for girls in Solihull at No 1 Homer Road. The school adopted as its name that of Saint Martin of Tours who was known for his piety and a particular act of kindness when he gave up part of his cloak to a beggar. His motto ‘The grace of God is in Courtesy’ became that of the school.
At the very beginning in April 1942, fourteen sets of parents entrusted the education of their daughters to Misses Tucker and Bull, and before long a house was purchased for boarders to live in. As the School continued to expand in the 1950s it was an important decade, and ensured the successes of individual pupils such as Mimi Khedouri, Head Girl from 1954-55 and was the first pupil from Saint Martin’s to go to Oxford University. Public School status was achieved on 1 September 1963 with the Founders ensuring the success of Saint Martin’s by handing over their interests in the school to a Board of Governors.
With the closure of the boarding in the 1960s and under the headship of Miss Bacon, the development of the curriculum moved apace and the demand for places continued to grow. A move from the Station Road site was inevitable and in 1989 Saint Martin’s purchased its present site, that of the historic Malvern Hall.