Henry Greswold, Rector of Solihull, bought Malvern farm and his son Humphrey built Malvern Hall in about 1690. The Hall passed to his brother and then out of direct line to various cousins until, in 1772, Henry Greswold Lewis inherited the property. Malvern Hall, as it then stood, did not satisfy wealthy Henry and the future Sir John Soane, surveyor of the Bank of England, was called in to remodel and enlarge the house. John Constable visited Malvern Hall and one of his paintings of the Hall from across the lake is in Tate Britain.
Henry Greswold had no children so, when he died in 1829, the estate passed to his cousin, Edmund Wigley. He took the Greswold name. In 1830, his brother, Charles, a young clergyman, after an evening of great merriment and much drinking, fell down the staircase to his death. It is Charles’ ghost that is said to haunt the Hall. In 1833 Edmund died unmarried.
In 1896, after years of neglect, Malvern Hall was sold to Mr David Troman, a Birmingham industrialist who reduced the Hall to its present size and added bow windows and balustrading. The house was again offered for sale in 1915, to Horace Brueton but he seems to have made few changes to the Hall. In 1926 Mr Brueton sold the Hall to Solihull’s Rural District Council. Malvern Hall was converted in 1931 to become Solihull High School for Girls and in the 1970’s the school became co-educational and known as Malvern Hall.
Malvern Hall is now the main administrative building for Saint Martin’s School who purchased the site in 1989.